Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"ma, can we line up for the photo booth please!"

What a busy weekend!
I definitely live for the weekends, but typically for low-key, let's do a whole lot of nothing type of weekends. But nevertheless, the weekend was spent with our friends and family - so it was good one!

A few days ago, I stumbled across this post on Facebook posted by someone I went to high school with, a fellow mama.
As I read, I sobbed ...
Here are some paragraphs that I related to instantly:

Too much of a mama's life goes undocumented and unseen. People, including my children, don't see the way I make sure my kids' favorite stuffed animals are on their beds at night. They don't know how I walk the grocery store aisles looking for treats that will thrill them for a special day. They don't know that I saved their side-snap, paper-thin baby shirts from the hospital where they were born or their little hospital bracelets in keepsake boxes high on the top shelves of their closets. They don't see me tossing and turning in bed wondering if I am doing an okay job as a mother, if they are okay in their schools, where we should take them for a vacation, what we should do for their birthdays. I'm up long past the news on Christmas Eve wrapping presents and eating cookies and milk, and I spend hours hunting the Internet and the local Targets for specially-requested Halloween costumes and birthday presents. They don't see any of that.
I'm everywhere in their young lives, and yet I have very few pictures of me with them. Someday I won't be here -- and I don't know if that someday is tomorrow or thirty or forty or fifty years from now -- but I want them to have pictures of me. I want them to see the way I looked at them, see how much I loved them. I am not perfect to look at and I am not perfect to love, but I am perfectly their mother.
& then, on Friday, at one of my best friend's wedding - where I was a bridesmaid, up at 6am for hair and makeup (after being awake at 3am for a feed), then feeding little Miss Sadie every three hours throughout the day, and where my (wonderful-est, bestest, most patient) husband travelled with both kiddies from the ceremony to the reception while I took photos with the bridal party ...


... this photo happened.
I had just finished nursing Sadie for the umteenth time and Aiden wanted to eat dessert at the head table with me. The MOH saw A and I taking "selfies" with my iPhone and offered to take a photo for us. Of course, I declined the offer at first ... but then gave in and gave her my phone. I was sweating, exhausted and slightly annoyed because it felt like my false lash was falling off. But in the midst of the craziness, to capture a moment like this ... melts my heart. These are the moments that I live for.

You better believe we lined up for the photo booth! It was Aiden's favourite part! Too bad Sadie was a pooper and was sleeping ... LOL.



No comments:

Post a Comment